Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

"Gnartang!" Dion Terry & Richard Salcido @ Thumbprint Gallery

Hello...

Gnartang flier


GNARTANG!
Art Show Featuring New Works by Dion Terry & Richard Salicdo

FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC • ALL AGES
www.thumbprintgallerysd.com

Dion Terry:

The soft delicate presence of nature collides with the daunting colors of urban graffiti in Dion Terry's art. His first series of paintings juxtaposed all types of wildlife and "wild-style" graffiti. Dion, who is from Fort Defiance, AZ, located in the Navajo Nation, began shifting his focus to birds. The artist depicts with great detail and precision the bird's natural anatomical characteristics. However, Dion puts his own twist on his birds by clothing them in hats, robes, pants, and various other garments. This infuses his aviary subjects with their own personalities, reminiscent of humans. At times, his aviary subjects take on almost god-like qualities.

Richard Salcido:

Richard Salcido does whatever he wants to do. Both during and after earning his BFA at the Laguna COllege of Art and Design, he took a few illustration jobs all which "ended badly" because he never listened to what the clients wanted. Even during college he was fiercely independent and rebellious. "I ignored everything they taught me. I did whatever I felt like whether it pertained to the assignment or not, but I felt like I could learn more on my own by practicing all the time then I ever could listening," Richard explained. The artist now strictly sticks to the fine art field which has become his full time job. "I draw, doodle, paint and whatever because it's fun. Illustration, although better than most other jobs, it's still a job. When it comes to making my art I just want to have fun with it and someone telling me how to have fun with it just wasn't fun." Ironically, Richard now sets scheduled "job hours" to work in his studio daily. However, in the end he is still just painting and having fun.

For Press Release


Hello. My name is KEEMOWERKS. It's my pleasure, nice to meet you...

No comments: