Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"Yuuwaku" and "Two Sisters" Art Prints by Audrey Kawasaki

Hello...

I thought I'd share some art prints from Los Angeles based painter, Audrey Kawasaki. I recently picked up her latest print (well, not latest. It was sort of a re-release print). Anyways, I received an email from Thinkspace Gallery saying that they'll be selling the "Yuuwaku" or "Hyakki Yakou" print, but only one print per customer...no worries, I could only afford one anyways.

The print was being sold during this year's Culver City Art Walk 2010, so it was perfect timing.  Audrey's prints are notorious for being sold out within minutes of her "one hour drop"...I'm exaggerating, but you get the point.  So knowing this I had to be at Thinkspace pretty early. Mochi and I arrived before noon and lucky us,  there wasn't a line at all.  Doors opened for the "Picks of the Harvest" (see here) and I got my print....that's it.

I became an instant fan once I discovered her paintings a few years back while randomly looking through websites.  I appreciate the skill and the fact that her work is just so damn sick!  Maybe because her influence is manga-based, and I'm a big anime geek! Or maybe because the distinctive facial expressions of her female subjects, especially the eyes...in my opinion, I like how high they look.

Yuuwaku (framed)
audrey kawasaki

audrey kawasaki

audrey kawasaki

audrey kawasaki

The next art print, the "Two Sisters", I picked up during last year's Culver City Art Walk 2009, but by accident. Once again, Thinkspace was holding an art show. To keep it short and simple, I looked through their print section and found an Audrey Kawasaki print. It was a bit pricey for a print, I thought to myself. But knowing how difficult it was to actually get one, yet out of luck I found one in person.  I bought 1 of 3 on the spot. Moments later, this chick saw me with it and immediately ask where i got it.  I pointed to the direction of the source and she ran over scratching  her neck like a crack head....I got lucky.

Two Sisters (not framed)
audrey kawasaki

audrey kawasaki

audrey kawasaki

During last week's Yoskay Yamamoto show I met up with homie Jack, the man behind Vinyl Pulse and Daily Dujour.  We chatted it up a bit, and next thing you know,  he introduces me to Audrey Kawasaki...lucky!
kws x audrey kawasaki

I was a bit red...Thanks to Twinks and E.vil for taking the photo and another thanks for not making fun!

Goodbye...

Hello. My name is KEEMOWERKS. It's my pleasure, nice to meet you...

No comments: